Sunday, November 27, 2011

Webcomics +JTHM

I'm going to start off by talking about the webcomics I read over the past week then get into Johnny the Homicidal Maniac after that since I may have more to write about with that.

When I Am King: This story was full of surprises for me, and produced a very interesting narrative. First thing that I noticed is how well it lends itself to a web-comic format. The navigation through the pages is one unique to that of electronic media. Most of the panels are extra-wide and require the reader to scroll through until they find the next button. Further on into the book they run separate story lines in separate sections of the page, and hitting the next button will advance the proper story. I also appreciated the use of the wordless comic, a good throwback to where we started at the beginning of the semester with the Arrival. Overall, although confusing at times, I did enjoy reading through this story. I feel like out of all the works I read this week this was the one that lent itself best to being a web-comic, using graphics that are clearly computer generated (using very perfect geometric shapes), utilizing the browser as part of the reading experience, and moreover creating an experience only really possible using electronic media.

Octopus Pie: I really enjoyed reading through this story. I like reading things from the start, so I managed to push through about the first 100 pages of this. Eve is immediately seen as a character that can be related to easily. Going through the struggles of dealing with invasive parents, annoying roommates, problems with the boss, etc. To be more specific, the characters feel very true to life. The situations feel the same. I feel like even though this is based in Brooklyn this story is very universal. As far as the artwork, I can appreciate the emulation of a more traditional style, utilizing textured fills and working entirely in black and white. I am personally more interested in the idea of having physical book to hold and seeing printed media, however this is a nice kind of in-between.

Bad Machinery
: Continuing on with reading more of Katherine's suggestions, I took a look at Bad Machinery. What I found most interesting about this particular comic was the intertwining story lines that exist in it. I feel like it does capture that whole age group fairly well, rather, the never-ending curiosity that exists in adolescence. It also is a nice way of viewing similar situations from my own experiences, but in a different context since it is based in the UK. Again, I feel that this is another story that is very universal; the story at its very base is about the trials and tribulations of being in high school. The variety within the cast is great, every character is really distinguishable. With the art style I find that the use of color is really well played, including the general shifts in color schemes dependent on the characters present. I feel this was something more necessary with the private school setting, as it really is taking as many opportunities as possible to break up the conformity. I would definitely continue reading this story.

Moving on to Johnny the Homicidal Maniac...

I was first exposed to this when I was 12 or 13, after I saw one of my friends reading Squee in 6th grade Spanish class. Now that I'm older and have had time to really read (and re-read) the story I can appreciate it a lot more than how I did the first time I tried reading it. I decided to go through the book again this week and I find that there's always something new that I will find. Part of what I really enjoy about this particular book is the way that Jhonen throws these very tiny but relevant bits of text into the corners and blank spaces in the panels. They're usually little one-liners and always are ironically cheery, but it's making light of something that is usually seen as something really serious. I think the most important thing I've noticed is how Nny is in a way a very considerate serial killer. The most obvious would be to note the way he at least attempts to help and protect Squee, although in very unconventional ways (I.E. dissecting the child molester to show him that he's just human and not something to have nightmares about). Something I picked up on more this time through is his relationship with Nailbunny, Mr. Eff, and Psycho Doughboy. Rather, I really started to better understand their motives, and how he was actually affected by each of them. Overall I really do love this book. Although it's extremely violent, and to be fair a little gross at times, it has a lot going for it. The storyline is very smart and carried out through the lengthy passages of dialogue, the artwork is fittingly dark and harsh. Even the short passages of Happy Noodle Boy, the comic within a comic crudely drawn by Nny are fitting and hilarious, albeit difficult to understand at times. I feel I get more out of this book every time I read it, so I'm glad I had an opportunity to take another look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment